Sarah Jane Huntington interview

 AUTHOR INTERVIEW 



A little introduction: 

My name is Sarah Jane Huntington. I'm a nurse and I live with my rescue dog and elderly cats.


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began when I was around ten years old. Books became an escape for me. I didn't really fit in anywhere as a child, but in paper worlds, I could live the life of anyone. I read Stephen Kings IT when I was thirteen and that book got me hooked on horror novels. It was around that time that I started to write my own stories. I wanted to bring escapism to others and create fascinating worlds and situations for a reader to jump into. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

As soon as I read IT I wanted to be an author. I wanted to create worlds people would enjoy and characters they might remember. I wanted others to read my words and become as lost as I do when I read. 
There are a thousand stories stuck in my head that I am determined to let loose!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The process of becoming an author was not an easy journey for me. I have always written and years ago, I would write manuscript after manuscript and hide them all. I had no confidence to actually show anyone or let someone read them. It wasn't until I turned 40 that I decided to try and submit a few. I had no real hope at all. To my surprise, three out of four were accepted into anthologies. The first acceptance I received made me cry for days. That gave me the confidence to self-publish more stories. I have never tried the route of querying or traditional publishers. I much prefer to have full creative control and submit to smaller presses.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

For those wanting to be an author, I would say do it. Just go for it. Don't let self-doubt beat you. Keep submitting and try not to let rejections hurt you. They are just a part of a writer's life and everyone gets them. Reading as much as possible really helps too. 


Tell us about your book/books:

I have five books so far. Cabin Terror is my most recent one. That one is a full-length cosmic horror novel and it's done well so far. Paint it Black. Iron Maidens and Between light and shadow are all short story horror collections and I wrote one young adult book, The Pawnbroker and the Boy. 
Every penny I make from writing goes to a different charity every month too which I am lucky to be able to do.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I adore the writing community. I had no idea I would end up making such good friends. The support from others has been incredible. I've also found so many amazing authors I like to support and I've discovered hundreds of wonderful books I might have missed otherwise. In real life, I have no support. So finding such a big and welcoming community means the world to me. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

If I could say one thing it would be to follow your dreams and be yourself. So what if you don't write like other people or if you have more bizarre ideas than most. Embrace your talent and be proud. There is a place for everyone and every kind of book and more importantly, never give up. If a story doesn't work, take a break, rethink it. A bad first draft is better than no first draft.


Where can people connect with you?

I can be found hanging around on Twitter. @SarahJaneHunti1
I am no expert but I am always happy to help or offer advice and friendship to anyone that needs it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown