Russell the author interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW  


A little introduction:

By night, I’m not only a superhero/vigilante, but I write dark provocative horror suspense novels. During the day, I am a mild manner instructor for a community college where I teach culinary arts. Yes, I had (well, am) an Executive Chef, having worked in the hospitality industry for couple of decades. Also, I have my Master’s Degree in Sociology where my interest lie in organizational and symbolic interactional theories. Currently, I live in Upstate New York with my two kids and several cats.


When did your love of books begin?

It really started around the age of twelve/thirteen when I picked up my first grown up books. I guess being transported away from reality and then being submerged into another world was exhilarating. Plus, the added explicative language, violent scenes and sexual innuendo kept me wanting more. 



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

When I picked Stephan King’s Cujo, the novel made me want to also write, or rather create, alternative universes to entertain others. Naturally, I began with short stories, but found them extremely limiting. I had written a complete manuscript in my 20s and knew then I could write more. Hence, my first novel, The Tale of Old Man Fischer, was born. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Being an author has been a long road. I never told my family much less my friends that I wrote books. Really, I plugged away writing here and there in secret. When I decided to publish Old Man Fischer, everyone was in shock. At the same time, the writing world is much different climate. Quickly, I learned the need for a decent editor, making time for promotions and reaching out to people. Trust me, being a Chef, I have thick Teflon skin…I can take criticism.  



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Easy…Write, write and write. Then read everything in your genre. When you are finished, start a new manuscript and read some more. Essentially, don’t stop!


Tell us about your book/books:

The Gavin Nolan Trilogy includes GAVIN (Part 1), DERRICK (Part 2) and QUINN (The Finale). I began the series when I had attended graduate school and finished it up by publishing the finale this last summer. The three-book series tells the story of a Chicago Police Homicide Detective, Gavin Nolan, investigating gruesome murders, all the while, his personal life slowly becomes scrutinized. On the surface, my books have extraordinary secondary characters, integrated subplots and develop the overarching plot to a final intense ending. My books have received many five-star reviews and incredible feedback. Currently, I am editing my next book titled, The Eradication Initiative, which is my take on scifi-horror. I did pen another piece (doesn’t have a title yet) about a haunted manor in middle of the Adirondacks. I scared myself while writing that one! I’m pondering a new series at the moment…not sure where I’m going with it. But I’ve always had a fixation about ancient history.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The Support. It is gratifying knowing all these unique individuals who are extremely creative. In fact, since I’ve published, I read my fellow authors’ works. I’m truly impressed with their unique take on the world. With readers, I love having a connection with them. It is much more personable.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

My stories are rather intense. In other words, I write what I believe should be written. As an artist, I attempt to push the envelope as much as I can. You will see in GAVIN I begin the book off rather provocative and brutal. My books are not cozy mystery pieces, instead they grab your attention immediately. I write characters who strong yet flawed and place them into dark situations. Are my books more dialogue or prose? That’s for you to decide. Either way, you will completely enjoy slipping into my universes.


Where can people connect with you?

Please find on these social media platforms:

Twitter @Russell_Writer (Cause I tweet a lot…)

Instagram @Russell_Writer (Who doesn’t like getting visual?)

Email at theauthorrussell@gmail.com (I will respond!)

Facebook: Russell The Author


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview