Rhen Garland interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Rhen Garland, I live in Somerset, England, and I write Gaslamp Fantasy; Victorian murder mysteries with elements of fantasy, the paranormal, and the macabre.


When did your love of books begin?

My Mum taught me to read before I went to school. As a child, wherever I was, I always had a book with me.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I was always creating stories ...as a child they just used to appear and I said them out loud. The desire to become an author wasn't something I ever thought about...it just happened.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I love writing books. I'm a pantser; I write because I want to know what happens next! I also see in images not words...that can be a little concerning when I'm writing the murder scenes!
I love writing books, but I loathe writing blurbs and synopsis...and the whole marketing side of things is just...painful!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would say; do it. There are a limited number of book archetypes out there, but each author's voice is different...that gives a different perspective to every tale. Don't ever allow someone else to dictate what you write...unless it's your characters who are feeding you the suggestions.


Tell us about your book/books:

I write The Versipellis Mysteries. The series revolves around Elliott Caine and Abernathy Thorne; two immortal detectives searching through time for the reincarnations of their murdered wives.
The books are set in the late Victorian era.
Book one is A Portrait of Death. A country house, treason, treachery, torture...and a shapeshifting killer who has taken the place of their victim...
Book two is Death in the Sound. Blackmail, psychics, and murder aboard a paddle steamer in Milford Sound, New Zealand.
Book three is The Shadow of Death. A windswept Castle, sinister cultists, hidden passages, and a malevolent being who kills for pleasure all make for an unforgettable Christmas...for unbeknownst to Caine and his friends; deep in the catacombs of Cove Castle, there dwells a nightmare...


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the fact that asking for feedback/suggestions/help is absolutely encouraged. If you find the right groups, the support can be fantastic.
Conversely, if you find the wrong groups, it can be quite soul destroying; constructive criticism is an author's best friend...but some people just like to rip things apart without any form of feedback. If you find that type of group, walk away and don't take it personally.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for reading my books. If you enjoyed them, pleasepleaseplease leave a review on Amazon/Goodreads/Bookbub. 


Where can people connect with you?

I am currently in the process of getting a website...which basically means that I am a total tech numpty and I am still getting quotes to have one built! But I have a domain name that is linked to my FB author page...people can contact me by commenting on my posts...I still haven't worked out how to activate the Messenger button!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview