Rebecca Mikkelson interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Rebecca Mikkelson has been writing fantasy stories since her early teens for fun and was thrilled to turn her dream into a reality when she was published for the first time in an anthology.  She currently lives in Hawaii with her husband of nine years where they enjoy not going outside and avoiding the scare ball in the sky.

In her free time, Rebecca likes to cross stitch and embroider to relax when her cats aren't hogging the embroidery floss. She also enjoys reading a wide variety of books, ranging from non-fiction biographies of historical figures and families to high fantasy.

As well as being an author, Rebecca works as the Chief of Business Development at Authors 4 Authors Publishing, which she helped start in 2018. She also works as an editor with several of the A4A authors.


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books was a little delayed—I have pretty severe dyslexia, so it wasn't until the fifth grade when a friend gave me the Belgariad Series by David Eddings that I even realized books could be good. Since then, I haven't looked back. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I had written stories for fun when I was in my teens, but I didn't even think about becoming an author until I was married and living in South Korea with my husband for his work. I couldn't find work there, and I was bored out of my mind so I thought, why not? I'll write a book. I didn't have anything to lose. From there it spiraled into a whole series, and my brain won't stop coming up with more ideas for books even when I tell it I have too much work to do already.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's been an interesting journey, for sure. I definitely found out how true the saying, "You don't know what you don't know," is. Because I didn't know a lot. I did find out the best way to learn how to write yourself is to critique other people's work because you learn how to think critically about someone's creative words. After doing that for a while, you can apply it to yourself with less desperate clinging to your darlings. In a five-year span, I went from, "This is the worst book I've ever read," to "You're one of my favorite authors," which I'm very proud of.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Take the plunge. It'll suck at first because you're learning the ins and outs, but by the end, you'll be addicted to the craft and never want to start. Plus, what do you really have to lose? If you don't like your work, it can be edited until you do, or you chalk it up to a learning experience, never show anyone, and start a different story.


Tell us about your book/books:

I've got a couple of books in the works. The most prominent is my Anatalian Series, which is a low historical fantasy series and will be six books by the time it's all done. It will follow Liam Fulton and Margaret Doremis as they navigate life through unforeseeable circumstances that throw Anatalia into chaos. The first book, The Anatalian Soldier, was released in November 2021, and books two and three, The Anatalian Countess and The Anatalian Throne respectively, will be released in April and November 2022. 

I also have three other books in different genres that I'll be working on after The Anatalian Series is completed. One is an Arthurian portal fantasy where I finally deep dive into magic systems, and the other two will be fantasy romances. 

Blurb for The Anatalian Soldier: (link: books2read.com/anataliansoldier, cover attached)
Liam Fulton wants to see the world beyond the vineyard his parents live and work on. The only option he sees is the Anatalian army. Shortly after he joins, war breaks out, where he discovers a treasonous plot. Will he come away unscathed, or will his actions during the war irreparably change his life?

Margaret is just learning to fit in at court when her father falls gravely ill. The other courtiers start to pull away from her family, thinking they're cursed by God for reaching too high. Her mother, unable to handle the pressure of scrutiny, abandons them. Can Margaret figure out how to care for her father on her own?



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

In general, both communities are really supportive. It's nice to be able to go on Twitter or Instagram and find such relatable content and feel like you're among your people. We all need that kind of escape—especially since we just finished the 127th month of 2020 and the 87th month of 2021 simultaneously—and those communities provide it. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I mean, first of all, thanks for even being interested in the book. One of the greatest compliments an author can get is someone reading a description of their book and saying, "That looks like something I want to spend hours reading." Second, make sure to review the books you get, even if you don't like them (but I certainly hope you'll like mine)! 


Where can people connect with you?

You can check out my website, or find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview