Paul Lafferty interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My full name is Paul John Lafferty, and I was born in Staten Island, New York, but grew up in Niagara Falls, Canada. I attended a bilingual grade school, learning English and French at the same time.  After high school I attended Brock University and (eventually) left with a degree in political science. I spent the next 20 plus years working as a dj/bouncer/bodyguard, like most political scientists do, in the strip clubs of my hometown. This time formed the basis of my first book, Down the Lane, in a fictional setting. I returned to university in 2013, and now hold a Masters degree in education. I teach and write full-time.


When did your love of books begin?

Early on. It seems the entire family, parents, grandparents, brothers and sister, were always reading. My father would go though 3 or 4 a week. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

From early on I wrote things down, always had a notepad, that type of thing. I always knew I wanted to, unfortunately I work on my own schedule. I was always writing something out. Notebooks everywhere. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I had years of notes, so I started assembling them. No process really, just wrote when I wanted to. Maybe that’s why I’m struggling a bit with the second one. It’s almost done. Then the editing, what stays, what goes.



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Take your shot. I’ve been extremely lucky that I released something that people liked. If you finish it, you are miles ahead of people who say “I could have done that.” Well, you did it and they did not. Just start writing.


Tell us about your book/books:

Down the Lane is very loosely based on my years in the clubs, bumping up against some pretty notorious people. The main character, Ian, or Doc, works in the club and has grown tired of the violence and all night partying. He is friendly with a local motorcycle club, but is beginning to distance himself. A larger gang has targeted Doc’s friends and has decided to go to war with them. Because of who and what he knows, Doc is viewed as a threat.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I spend most of my time on Twitter as far as the writing community goes. I’ve fallen in with a great supportive group, and am having fun. I’ve cut back my time on Facebook because of all the negativity and trash talk, although I pop in occasionally. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you to every single person  who has helped me, read the first book, put up a review, or helped me promote it. With all the mistakes that were made with the first one, people are still buying it. Thank you to everyone. I would be nowhere without all of you.



Where can people connect with you?

You can follow the link Downthelanebook.com to order the book directly. I am under Goodreadsa and Facebook under my real name. There is an author page and Down the Lane page on Facebook. On YouTube you can find my small podcast under #32alltheway. Most of my time is on Twitter as Paul “Doc” Lafferty under @downthelanebook

#DowntheLane:Brantford out soon.  Thank you for your time. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown