Nick Lloyd-Davies interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi everybody. I’m Nick, dad of two, part-time ‘evenings and weekends’ author (if I have the energy,,,). I write children’s books, including the Glowstone Adventure series and longer stories for kids of middle grade or teen.


When did your love of books begin?

I remember competing with a friend at infants’ school to read a very lengthy book called ’Shardik’ by Richard Adams. It was about 800 pages and I beat him, which I was so chuffed about. Great book too! From there, reading has gone on and on. My favourite author - Thomas Hardy! Just epic…


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I didn’t think about it much until I had my own kids - I was about 33 at the time. But they both seemed to prefer my night time made-up stories, literally made up on the spot, to their existing books (which had already been read many, many times). My stories tended to be completely wacky and stupid, usually involving animals getting into mischief!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s a long process of discovery, learning, rejection and then, gradually recognition. I made initial hasty errors in paying lots and lots of money to vanity publishing companies where the end product was generally fairly poorly edited and impossibly highly priced to make marketing almost pointless. However, it did give me the satisfaction of seeing my own stories in print. Since the arrival of Kindle Direct Publishing on the scene, and with the benefit of mentoring from established authors (also paid for but worth every penny), I’ve been able to spend more time confidently and assuredly editing my books before release. I see the whole process of getting indie books out there as an invaluable basis for becoming an established author with a traditional publisher - my ultimate aim.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write whenever you can - on the train home from work, on holiday, after work in Costa. Even if it’s just half an hour, it’s a time to gradually build your style, your ‘brand’ and your confidence. But be prepared to pay money for some decent mentoring or writing classes - I’ve learnt no much with help. 


Tell us about your book/books:

My books are all independently published (for now!) and feature the Glowstone Adventure series (5 published titles in total currently). A 12 year old heroine, Katie, has found a magic glowstone which at any moment’s notice can transport her anywhere in the world at the request of any animal in some sort of trouble. Katie is able to talk to the animals and sort their problems out, ranging from bad manners, bullying, vanity to more recently ocean plastic pollution and the climate emergency. No challenge is too great for Katie. The books generally have a gentle ‘learning’ message for children, whilst combining this with magic, innocent animals, stunning geography/scenery, ample amounts of silliness and - a successful and fearless young girl. This I find important, to inspire girls everywhere (I am inspired by my daughter here!). I’ve also been very lucky in hooking up with a fabulous illustrator, Nay Wilson who, like me, has crafted her art in her spare time.

My other books are longer, for Middle Grade or Teen - classic adventure stories but you will see plenty of inspiration in them from the likes of Alice in Wonderland (The Boy Who Saved Time - my bestseller), the Wizard of Oz and even Stephen Spielberg’s epic film ET - this book (The Neptune Girl)  is nearing completion and is my target for traditional publication! Fingers crossed! As with most authors, I have several other completed but un-edited books, waiting for my attention and/or completion. Bring on retirement from the day job!


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Everyone is just so genuine, willing to help each other out, to share their ups and downs. They’re all just very true and honest people and we all inspire one another to get the best out of being an author!

Where can people connect with you?

I am on Twitter (@glowstonekatie) so can be reached via DM there or otherwise via my website www.nicklloyddavies.net. I also have an author page on Amazon.co.uk 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview