My Publication Day - Powerless by Vicky Ball

For so long publication day seemed like a pipe dream. Even when I had a publisher interested I kept thinking something would go wrong. Reality hit me when my publisher first sent me some book covers to look at. Just seeing my name on the front cover was unreal. When I sent my final draft to my ARC readers to review it was all getting scarily real. At that point I was terrified about everyone’s reactions to it. What if everyone hated it and gave me one star reviews? What if there were typos I had missed? The feelings of not being good enough were huge and making me feel very anxious.

For actual publication day I had this idea that I wanted to have a launch party, after all getting your first book published is a big deal and I love parties anyway. I didn’t want to spend lots of money though when I hadn’t earned any yet. I inquired of a few places locally but most were coming up too expensive. Then I emailed the hotel and restaurant where I meet with my writing group every other week. This venue would be perfect as it means something to me, having read out various chapters of my book to my writing group there. They said I could hire out the function room or I could use the restaurant area for free on a day when it is not used much. As luck would have it the restaurant was free the night before my novel was being published. So I eagerly booked it up and started inviting people.

I had lovely mix of different people coming - family members (including my uncle who drove 45 minutes to come), some of my beta readers, my daughter’s teenage friends, my old writing tutor from a course I had been on years ago, a local author who I met recently, one of my ARC reviewers, my colleagues from work, anyone who expressed any interest in my book and of course my writing group.

So with the party booked I began to get excited but people kept asking me what we would do at the party. I said I had no idea, I’d never done this before. Should I put on activities - do quiz or a reading? Did I need to do a speech? Then I saw a great idea on instagram where someone had their book cover put onto a cake, very easy to do at the local supermarket I was told. I decided I would write a little speech, mainly just to thank my many supporters.

The weeks leading up to publication day and the party were pretty emotional. On the one hand I still couldn’t believe it was actually happening and I would randomly just start crying because I couldn’t believe my dream was coming true and I was so happy but I also felt very stressed about what everyone would think of it. About this time a local newspaper did an article on me and my book. All my work colleagues and a lot of my students found out. Suddenly I was plunged into this world where I was getting all this attention that I wasn’t used to. People were so amazing though and I was astounded by how many people went on Amazon and bought it based on a connection with me.

On top of all those feelings, I was also terrified I was going to get Covid as there were quite a few cases at my school and I would have been so upset if I had not been able to go to the party.

Fortunately, launch week came and all was well. The day before I went to the shop to get my cake done with my book cover on it. So exciting seeing it in cake form. I got my dress out ready, gave out last-minute directions to guests.



Launch party - All day at school, I tried to contain my excitement. It was finally happening!! The party was absolutely fabulous. I had a table laid out with copies of my book people could buy if they wanted and the cake ready to be sliced up. It was lovely to have so many supporters there.

The nicest and most surprising thing of the evening was my Dad doing a speech. I stood up to do a speech and he stood up and said ‘I’m doing a speech.’ I felt like I was getting married again. It was the sweetest speech. He told everyone how he doesn’t normally read thrillers but he loved my book and everyone should buy it. A great proud father moment.

That night I was tempted to stay up till midnight to see my book go live on Amazon but I knew I had to work the next day.



Publication day - Publication day had finally come. I was still on a high from my party last night which was good as I would need the adrenaline to teach five lessons that day. I took some cakes into the staffroom so that everyone could celebrate with me. At lunchtime, I signed some books in the staffroom that they had bought. One of my colleagues said ‘I expect you are getting used to all this book signing now.’ I thought no I am definitely not used to it.

That night after we had taken one of my daughters to a party we got a fish and chip takeaway and drank Prosecco.


Since then I have been amazed at the reviews I’ve got for my book. It’s hard not to check obsessively for new reviews. I have always been average at most things - average degree, average grades - so to receive five-star reviews is beyond my wildest dreams and I am so grateful for every one of them. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview