M.J. Weatherall interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

M. J. Weatherall is one of those people who loves writing but always struggles to write about herself. She always feel like she’s bragging (which in and of itself sounds like a brag according to her). 
She is a young author from Sheffield who moved to the Lake District to get her BSc (Hons) degree in Outdoor Adventure and Environment. More recently she has qualified as a primary school teacher and is now fulfilling her calling as an educator. 
M. J. loves climbing, kayaking and spending all her spare time in nature. A lifelong bookworm, she takes pride in growing her book knowledge (an asset to any pub quiz team to be sure!). She likes to think that she’s a fun person to be around…at the very least, her cat seems to think so.



When did your love of books begin?

I have always loved reading, I think it comes from my Mother and Grandad who encouraged me from a young age. Since then I loved to escape into the pages and have the ability to live a thousand different lives. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I have written stories since I was little when my Mother and I used to type them up on our computer, print and put them into a folder. I continued this through my school years, writing stories with my sister and my best friend Mia. 
I started seriously thinking about it when I was at university doing my undergraduate degree, I let my friend Sam read what I was working on and he encouraged me to go for it! I started by entering into competitions with mentor programmes before going down the traditional publishing route. 



How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It has been a learning curve for me for sure, I'm not sure I would it differently if I could go back. My publisher is great, they have eased me into the published world gently and since then I have made many contacts in author and publishing circles which has boosted my confidence and enlightened me greatly.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I'd say go for it, make sure you know what you want and keep going, publishing is so subjective and just because your work isn't the right fit for someone doesn't mean that it isn't good enough to be out there. 



Tell us about your book/books:

I debuted this February with my YA dystopian fantasy with medieval vibes, Silent Is the Crown, which follows a mute girl who wakes up in a clearing with no memories, it follows her journey to find out who she is and avenge the women that rescued her that day. She ends up finding out more than she bargained for, joining the assassins guild and becoming a part of a larger mission. 

I have recently been apart of a Winter Anthology of Folk and Fairytales that released on the 23rd of this month, it's full of a range of fantastically talented writers from all over the globe. My story is based on a local legend surrounding some stone circles in Cumbria, where I live, and a coven of witches that gave them it's name Long Meg and her daughter's. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how supportive and diverse it is, people hype you up and bring out the best in your work because of it. I love how connected the readers and writers are, how they bounce off eachother almost symbiotically. It's great to see.



If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would like to say thankyou for taking a chance on me and supporting my dream. I would also like to add that since my debut my writing has improved so much and I have found a style that works for me, so much of my writing process has been experiential and I have so much more to write. I'm just getting started. 


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter - @mj_weatherall

Is where I do most of my bookish things with the occasional social commentary and sarcastic comments. 

Instagram - @mj.weatherall 

Is where people can see what I am up to, usually a lot of outdoor sports, pics of my cat and dog or things that I think are neat. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview