Michelle Richards-Graham interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Michelle Richards-Graham and I’m a Canadian indie YA author.  I’m a sports fan and a music lover who played the clarinet in both junior high and high school. When I was a child, words were the “building blocks” I enjoyed playing with the most. I wanted to be an author one day, but I had no idea that my greatest dream and worst nightmare would collide.


When did your love of books begin?  

I fell in love with books at an early age in elementary school. I was amazed at how authors and illustrators could bring characters to life with such creativity. When I started reading chapter books, Judy Blume and R.L. Stine quickly became my favourite authors. I felt Judy Blume’s books focused on such realistic content about growing up, and it made the characters so relatable. As for R.L. Stine’s Fear Street series, the plots were mysterious and fast-paced without missing a beat. Each book had me hooked!


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?  

I wrote my first story when I was 6 years old. It was called Samantha the Squirrel. I was excited about having the chance to create a world of my own and characters of my own. Clutching the one-page story in my hands and reading it proudly to my first-grade classmates, I knew at that moment that I wanted to be an author when I grew up, but I had no idea that my very first book would be based on a horrible experience I would face as a young teen.

I wrote the first draft of my first book (It Could Never Happen to Me) when I was 14 years old after I’d been molested. Before I found the courage to tell someone, the writing process helped me deal with what had happened to me, and I continued writing because the childhood dream of becoming an author still resided in my heart. I wasn’t sure at the time if I would ever be brave enough to publish the book and share it with the world. Even though the story was fictional, it was still very personal since it was inspired by the painful situation I’d endured, but I’m glad I decided to publish it because I’ve received so much great feedback from readers who let me know the book helped them in some way.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

When the fantasy of becoming an author became entangled with the hard work behind becoming an author, my eyes were opened. I was in my early twenties at that point and started to realize catching the interest of a traditional publisher wasn’t going to be an easy task. I decided to take the self-publishing route. There were many lessons to learn along the way, but I don’t regret my decision. I’ve enjoyed being an independent author, pouring my passion into my projects from start to finish and ensuring my vision is captured completely.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?  

Write that book! It’s your story to tell, and no one will be able to write it the way you will. It can be discouraging at times, but the moment you get to hold your published book in your hands for the first time, you’ll realize your hard work was worth it!


Tell us about your book/books:  

I’ve published three young adult/teen fiction books to date. Each story tackles candid subject matter, such as first love, complicated friendships, broken homes, abuse, and the tough decisions to be made in the middle of it all. As the journey to adulthood can be a complicated path, my hope is that my books will especially reach teenage readers in a way that lets them know they are not alone, no matter what they are going through.


It Could Never Happen to Me

Thirteen-year-old Keisha Morgan is overwhelmed when her attractive new stepbrother takes an interest in her. When his interest becomes sexual, she must decide how to handle the shame and confusion that result from his actions. Keisha must also decide how to support her best friend, Trisha, who has to deal with the consequences of hooking up with random guys.

 

It Could Never Happen to Me is a frank and realistic take on sexual activity and abuse among young teens. The story provides a point of reference for readers to talk about complicated subject matter that is often uncomfortable — for both youths and adults — to discuss.



Sweet & Sour Honey

First love can be an amazing experience, but what would you do if you found yourself in a situation that could mean the end of the relationship, and the end of your own life?

 

After her parents break up, Sheneil Jordan and her mother move to another city where Sheneil dreads going to a new high school, but things get better when she is reunited with an old friend that now goes to the same school. Sheneil also meets the boy of her dreams — only to find out he's actually the boy of her nightmares. DeShaun Michaels, the cute basketball player with a dreamy smile, is the same guy that used to tease Sheneil endlessly back in elementary school. Sheneil tries to resist him, but she soon swallows her pride and admits he's become a good guy. With a little matchmaking, they get together.

 

Although first love is sweet for her, Sheneil soon finds her relationship with DeShaun could be torn apart by his sassy ex-girlfriend, his jealous best friend, and a greater threat that could end everything for good.



The Eastbrook Diaries

Whenever Mya Brooks thinks about it, her palms get sweaty, she gets a queasy feeling in the pit of her stomach, and her mouth goes desert-dry. Starting high school can do that to a girl. She soon discovers that fitting in at Eastbrook High School is the key to survival.

 

As Mya and her friends begin grade 10, their friendship is put to the test. Jasmine Price always vowed she’d never hang out with a popular girl after one of them walked off with her boyfriend, but she believes she has what it takes to be one of them. She thinks she can beat them at their own game. Roland is searching for a girlfriend. He finds someone he likes, and he thinks she likes him, but she’s his teacher. Mya’s parents keep having the same fight, and she’s losing her best friend, Jasmine, to the popular crew.​

 ​

As Mya, Jasmine, and Roland deal with the challenges in their families and their friendship, can they resist the pressure and battle through the secrets and lies? Or will the rulers of the school break them one by one?


What do you love about the writing/reading community? 

Being a part of the writing/reading community is wonderful! I’ve met some brilliant fellow writers and avid readers, and the conversations have been so engaging and encouraging. I’ve especially embraced the experience of discovering other indie authors and their amazing books.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?  

Thank you for being on this journey with me as I continue to build my dream one page at a time. I appreciate readers who support indie authors, and thank you for the honest reviews!


Where can people connect with you?

Site: www.michellerichardsgraham.com

Twitter: @mrichardsgraham

Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/michelle_richards


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview