Marie Sinadjan interview

 AUTHOR INTERVIEW 


When did your love of books begin?

I honestly can't remember the exact time. My mother said when I was two years old I was so into this Care Bears picture book that I could read it upside down... does that count? Haha 🙈 She would also buy me books from the thrift store to read. I loved Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume, and later on, when I was older, A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux. I also remember being cooped up reading Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys in my elementary school library.

Also, when I was in my early teens, my father bought home a Star Wars book he'd borrowed from a co-worker (Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn) and I ended up reading it instead. It was my introduction to the Star Wars EU, which had a lot of books, and I sought to find and buy and read them all.



When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I started dreaming of publishing a novel in high school. I had a friend, Stephanie, who I would exchange letters with, and in those letters we would tell each other stories. Not just, "Here's how my day went..." but full, actual chapters. I promised to dedicate my first novel to her, and I did exactly that.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Writing the book is, unexpectedly, the easy part. Haha 😂 Marketing is a whole other beast. I'm slowly learning, though, and the writing/reading communities in Twitter and Wordpress have been a tremendous help. I've met and connected with several authors who have been so kind and supportive and helpful, and I'm super grateful to them. They're making this uphill climb easier.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Don't be afraid, and don't be afraid to get help. I wouldn't have become an author if I didn't face my fears. Oh, I was and still am afraid. Of rejection, of not being good enough, of failure. But to become an author, you need to put yourself out there. Close your eyes when you take the plunge if you have to, but don't let fear make you stop.

And if you don't know what you're doing, ask. You'll find that there's always someone out there who might be able to help you with whatever you're dealing with, or at least point you to someone else who can. Reach out to people, especially to other indie authors. We've been through what you're going through, and you'll find that a lot of us will be more than happy to help.


Tell us about your book/books:

Hotel Fen is my debut novel, which I wrote with my friend, Meri Benson. It’s an urban fantasy, Norse mythology-based story about two unsuspecting strangers who find themselves trapped in a dreamy, vintage hotel. We know how those kinds of stories go, right? 🤭

In lieu of a written excerpt, however, let me offer you one… in song form. Here is Elevator, an original song I collaborated with some friends to celebrate the book’s release, and in true musical fashion (I’m a musical theatre fan), it tells of a pivotal scene in the beginning of the novel — the meet-cute the blurb talks about!




What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the support the writing/reading community provides to indies and no-name authors. I honestly hadn't expected that.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

THANK YOU. It means a lot that you decided to take a chance on a new, no-name author! 💖 I hope you enjoyed reading Hotel Fen because we enjoyed writing it. And it's just the first book of the Nine series, so there'll be more fun stuff to come!


Where can people connect with you?

I’ve got all my links and socials up at my website, www.mariesinadjan.com. I’m most active on Wordpress, Facebook and Twitter, but email would be the most surefire way to reach me. I’m always open to collaborations and creative projects, so do say hi if you have any ideas. And if you love music, please follow me on Spotify, thank you! 💖



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview