Lucy A. McLaren interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi, my name’s Lucy and I’m a fantasy writer as well as professional counsellor. I’m currently working on a fantasy trilogy called The Commune’s Curse, the first book of which is out in May 2022. When I’m not writing or looking after my young son, I enjoy watching film and TV shows, reading and playing video games. 


When did your love of books begin?

Very young. I’ve always loved reading, for as long as I can remember. I specifically got into fantasy around the age of 11 when I went to secondary school and had access to their library. I discovered Tamora Pierce’s Song of the Lioness series and… that was it!


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Again, something I remember always wanting to be. Especially from age 11 onwards, I remember sitting in the school library with friends and swapping stories. I didn’t write between the ages of about 16 and 25 because I lost confidence and didn’t believe I had enough skill to be able to write. I’m so glad I found my passion again because I now can’t imagine my life without writing. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s been a rollercoaster. When I started writing this book back in 2018, I was pretty naive about the whole process in terms of how many drafts it took to finish a novel, how to query and how hard the rejections would be! But I’m glad I persisted, despite the rejections, because my book has found an amazing home and I’m so thrilled to have found my publisher.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

If this is what you want to do, then keep going. Take on board constructive feedback and use it to make your writing or story the best it can be. And don’t take rejection personally—there will always be people who aren’t a fan of your work, and that’s okay.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut book, A Child’s Awakening, is due for release in May 2022. It is the first book in The Commune’s Curse trilogy and a multi-POV, young adult fantasy. I’ll give you my one sentence pitch:

In a kingdom oppressed by a ruthless cult, a young woman fights through trauma to protect two hunted children and reach the shelter promised by a power-wielding rebel, all the while pursued by a commander blinded by love and loyalty.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The supportiveness. I’ve met some wonderful people in the writing community. I’ve made friends and had beta readers/critique partners who have give me fantastic feedback for my book.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

The idea that anyone would read a book I’ve written is amazing. I’ve still not got my head around the idea that I’m going to be a published author. To anyone who ends up buying my book, all I have to say is: thank you. 


Where can people connect with you?

On Twitter @lucyamclaren, on Instagram @lucy_a_mclaren and on my website https://lucyamclarenauthor.wordpress.com/ 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview