Laura Austin interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I honestly can't remember a time when I didn't love books. My mom read to me when I was little and by the time I entered school I was using my allowance to buy books. I also began writing very young, but poetry was my start. Of course, it all rhymed and now that's not as popular, but the poetry we were taught about was all in rhyme so that's what I did. I was maybe 8 when I wrote a page long poem about walking through the woods and everything I saw, heard, and felt. In high school, I entered a poetry contest and won publication, but couldn't afford to buy the book! I wish I had a copy of it now because the poem has been lost.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Even after having a poem published it didn't occur to me to keep trying. I thought it was a fluke. I wrote poetry and kept it all to myself, afraid of criticism. Some of it was serious, but I wrote a lot that was funny. I love to make people laugh! I still write humorous poems on occasion. Once I was grown and became a mother, I wrote a few books inspired by my son's love of sharks. He was in preschool and loved sharks but I could find very few shark fiction books, and the nonfiction was all the same. How many things can you say about sharks? This was before Baby Shark! I wrote my Alexander Lee stories about a young great white shark, friendly, curious, and brave! These books are written in rhyme as well, but mostly because I thought it was fun and kids do tend to learn to read quicker when they can memorize the story, and rhyming aids in memorization. Two of these stories are self-published and available on Amazon.

Alexander Lee and The Sunken Ship
Alexander Lee To The Rescue and Tag With Jazz, a double feature



How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I found the process completely intimidating! I'll admit that I queried agents and wrote terrible query letters. I didn't know the process and it hurt me in the long run. When I chose to self-publish, I knew I would likely be losing money but my goal was to get books in the hands of kids and pray they loved them. I'm proud to say I have only ever gotten great feedback from kids and parents. I've had three different parents tell me their kids take my book to school for show and tell, or to bed with them at night (they are soft cover). This makes it all worth it to me. Kids are not interested in politely loving your book. Even if they had known me (which they didn't) I know that they would never fake joy.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would say that no matter what path you choose, if you publish, you should be proud. I would say "Edit, edit, edit, edit!" I would also say that if you write a picture book be very selective when choosing your illustrator. Kids don't listen when we say not to choose a book by it's cover! They look at the cover and the pictures and if they don't like what they see, you're done.


Tell us about your book/books:

I don't just write for kids. I still write poetry for adults, short stories, flash fiction, and I have written several mental health articles. I have also published a book review with the Festival review, and plan to submit more. I have a middle grade series that I am currently querying for, hopefully with more skill and better results!


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I absolutely love the support that can be found in this community! Writers offer each other encouragement and advice. I did have one writer make a derogatory comment to me on Twitter but I immediately had another writer jump in and tell me to block him (he was well known for his toxic behavior). I appreciate feedback and enjoy giving some as well. I think even if you read a book you don't particularly like, you can find small things within the book that you can appreciate and comment on. I would never give a poor review based on my personal taste! Honestly, I have never given a poor review! I would rather just not do one at all.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would first and foremost thank them for reading my work! I put a lot of heart and soul into what I do, and since I don't have an agent to sign books for me, I don't make any money at it. When a poem or story is accepted by an online magazine or print anthology, the typical payment is a copy of the book (if in print).
I would also ask them to please consider reviewing my books on Amazon or Goodreads. It helps more than most people know, and not just in potential book sales! (although that is considerable) Authors see these reviews and it makes our hearts happy to be appreciated.


Where can people connect with you?

I can be found on Twitter @kyhorrorstory or you can email me at alura1977@gmail.com.


Photo credit goes to my daughter, Moira Austin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview