Kelly Esparza interview

 AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hello! My name is Kelly Esparza, and I am a book editor, avid reader, and writer. I love writing poetry and novels mostly, but I also enjoy writing children’s literature, short stories, flash fiction, and personal essays.


When did your love of books begin?

Since I was a kid, I have always loved reading and a good story. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always loved writing. It’s been my dream since I was a little kid to be an author. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Writing a novel isn’t a sprint; it’s a marathon. However, it’s self-rewarding and completely worth it. I love telling stories and want to share them with the world. As a writer, I never give up on my dream. I read a lot to observe different writing styles and perspectives, I try writing in various genres to push myself as a writer, and I take every moment to learn more about writing. Often times as a writer, one receives a lot of rejection, but that’s a part of the process. That’s what makes a writer stronger and more resilient. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Never give up. There will be days you won’t want to write. There will be days you feel like giving up because you just received another rejection letter. However, if this is something you love more than anything, don’t let anything stop you. Write for yourself. Write because you love it. Always keep writing.


Tell us about your book/books:

As I mentioned, I write in a lot of different genres. In 2019, I wrote and self-published my first collection of poetry and prose called The World as Seen Through My Eyes on Amazon. This book was a coming-of-age compilation of poems I wrote in high school and college, and it was more about my observations along with some fictional prose in between. I often write uplifting poetry because I don’t see a lot of it and would like to see more of it out there in the world.


In February 2022, I plan to release my second collection of poetry and prose called Dear Me. I think of this book as more introspective and like self-love letters about self-discovery, inner strength, and self-worth.

As a novelist, I typically write young adult fantasy and dystopian novels, but right now, I’m writing a young adult murder mystery. Think Nancy Drew meets Agatha Christie novels! It’s definitely different from anything I have ever written, but I think that’s what makes it fun!

What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how supportive it is. A part of the process is getting rejected, but I love how this is seen as a badge of honor within the writing community. It’s like initiation! It doesn’t matter what age, gender, race, etc. you are; we’re all here for each other, uplifting one another. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for taking the time to read my work and for being supportive and uplifting. It makes my day when readers reach out to me, telling me they’ve just read my work.


Where can people connect with you?

@Kelly_Esparza7 is my Twitter handle. I post different publishing opportunities as well as announce any new publications.

https://kellyesparza.wordpress.com/ is my author website with links to all of my publications, including fiction, nonfiction, and poetry.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview