Kal Locksley interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I'm a South African author, and spend my free time with my husband, three cats and the wild ververt monkeys that we feed and photograph. 


When did your love of books begin?

My parents always encouraged reading of all genre's. Because I am Dyslexic, my mother (a school teacher), was insistent on it. Reading is the easiest and most fun way to overcome some of the struggles that dyslexia brings. Library visits and books as gifts were a norm in my house. I still get books from my folks as birthday presents and I wouldn't want it any other way.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I loved writing stories as a young girl, but it was in High School that I first imagined it as a 'dream' career.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I think its much like a first attempt and pottery...It's one thing to say you have some clay, now mold it and put in in the kiln and voila, art! Not quite. It's fun, and messy and the more you do it, the easier it gets. It's about learning and practicing.  


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Never stop reading. Any and everything. And go check out what Donald Maass has to say on the subject of writing. If you don't know where you are going, his books will point you in the right direction.


Tell us about your book/books:

The Tailor's Apprentice: Simon and the Seven Monsters was my first, and is a Chapter book aimed at younger middle-grade. I wanted to create something fun for kids to read out loud, and fun for parents who still enjoy reading bedtime stories. 
The sequel is still on the drawing board while I finish my second book in The Tales of Darkwell anthology.
 
Speaking of, Snake Charm of the Oracle is the first stand-alone in the anthology and is aimed at the lovers of fantasy adventure. while the next book does occur in Darkwell, the main characters and even the location is different. Which was hard to do, because I became very attached to my characters — Especially Eostra and Henry. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing community is just so supportive. And the reading community is vocal, which is just awesome. There is nothing better than when a reader reaches out to you just to say how much they enjoyed your work. We write for them, not for Top 100 lists or agents. Very few things make me happier than a readers stamp of approval.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you!


Where can people connect with you?

My website kal-locksley.com has all the links to my social media pages and my email address! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview