Julie Kusma interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m Julie Kusma, and I currently live in the United States, where I pen speculative fiction short stories and novels. Last year, contemporaries in the writing community honored me with the moniker “Queen of Horror,” and I try my best to live up to this title. Several of my stories and a few poems are available in audio format on my YouTube channel, many more on my website at julie-kusma.com.


When did your love of books begin?

Interestingly, not until I was a teenager. I wasn’t read to as a child, and the only access I had to books was the school library. Mainly I read nonfiction for research on school projects, but every now and again, I would check out a book of fiction- typically mystery, suspense, or horror. To this day, nonfiction books make up roughly 90 percent of my reading selections. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

My early work relates to nonfiction and children’s books. I have a mind-body-spirit book, unpublished and quite extensive. Also, during my Master in English, Creative Writing, Fiction, I wrote six children’s books, and recently, I began publishing them. Two are available; A Perfect Place for Monsters to Hide with my friend and editor Jill Yoder, as well as Pigglety Pigglety Poo, a read-to picture book to aid language development.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I find the writing to be the easy part and only the beginning of a book’s journey. Marketing is such a misunderstood aspect of being a writer and maybe the most critical. The challenge is getting your book in the hands of readers.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

To all emerging authors, study the craft of writing. Then, throw out all the rules. Finding your voice as a writer is as much about knowing what to ignore as it is about what to listen to.


Tell us about your book/books:

Oh, happily. I have several short stories published in the following collections:

That’s Creepy, Santa! The Trilogy [December 2021] #horror

The Many Worlds of Mr. A. Skouandy & Other Stories from Oakwood Sanatorium #psychological #horror

Stuck That Way and Other Quandaries
#paranormal #horror
 

Collaborations

HONEY Words to Heal & Mend [release date 11-12-21] with Derek R. King
#art #inspiratinal #kintsugi

The Darker Half, Volume 13 with Derek R. King #gothic #poetry
 

Children’s

Where Wildflowers Grow [release 2022] #readtobooks

A Perfect Place for Scary Monsters to Hide with Jill Yoder #readtobooks

Pigglety Pigglety Poo #readtobooks #language


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I find the writing/reading community to be incredibly supportive. I have made many friends and connected with several fantastic artists, illustrations, cover designers, narrators, my editor, Jill Yoder, and my book designer, Jane Cornwell, not to mention my fabulous writing partner, Derek R. King.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

To all readers, I would say: each book is a journey. Go on the author’s ride without preconceived notions of what it ‘should be and instead be open to what it is. Allow authors to try new formats, new styles, new voices, and let them bend genres. This is how innovative creation begins.


Where can people connect with you?

For more of Julie’s work, visit her website at http://julie-kusma.com

Follow her on Twitter https://twitter.com/juliekusma

Subscribe to her YouTube at http://youtube.com/c/juliekusmaauthor

Sign up for Julie’s Newsletter for all the latest and early access to her book releases at
https://www.getrevue.co/profile/juliekusma?via=twitter-profile-webview


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview