Josh Petroski interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

At age twenty-two a couple years after I began writing on a regular basis. I’d learned that in order to become a good writer you have to read a lot. Once I read THE GREAT GATSBY I was hooked. My man F Scott described Daisy simply walking into a room with three entire pages of text. Every word captivated me and made my mind soar. It made me realize the limitless possibilities of the written word. I’m now and always will be chasing those magic amazing abilities of F Scott Fitzgerald. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Age twenty. I always needed something to go after. It was that simple. Little did I know the internal rewards and peace it would give me. I made a deal with myself when I began that I was going to be a published author even if it took me until I was seventy. Nine years ago when I turned forty not only was I not published, after thousands of query letters I hadn’t received one request from a literary agent or publisher to even read my work. So I upped the deal with myself to eighty years old. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

If you mean simply the process of being a writer it’s been lovely. Writing has given me growth and peace of mind I would have never otherwise had. Not even close. If you mean the process of being a PUBLISHED author, it’s been like having every tooth removed without anesthesia after being hit in the face with a sledge hammer thirteen or fourteen times. Up until the beginning of this year I had endeavored to be published through the traditional route. In addition to the aforementioned thousands of failed query letters I went to a couple conferences over the last twenty-nine years as well. All of it yielded nothing. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Do novels exist if no one ever reads them? I think not. Finally in the beginning of this year with the advice of my sister-in-law (who also did the voice over for the Audible version - www.voicesbykelli.com) I decided to self publish on Amazon. Now people are not only reading my work, but based on my reviews they are also enjoying it. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Unless you’re an inherently gifted writer realize it will take a LONG time to get good at it. Just to put that into perspective I’ve written eight novels, twelve feature length screenplays, and a couple children’s book series. The book I recently published CHARM CITY KILLER is the product of three different title changes, at least six complete rewrites, and over twenty edits. During your journey always do things to improve your craft. Writing in itself is the biggest part of that. In addition read books that teach the rules and structure of story writing. (Character arc, plot and sub plot structure, etc.) Books like SCREENPLAY, STORY, and Stephen King’s ON WRITING are great. 


Tell us about your book/books:

In the world of a 2008 yellow pages sales rep nostalgia converges with technology in a very dark way. CHARM CITY KILLER is a psychological thriller about Moe Steadman, a defeated yellow pages sales rep that takes revenge on his internet competitors. As the police close in and Moe falls deeper into mental breakdown we learn that reality is not what it seems, just as in the end what Moe thought represented love and true beauty are not what they seem. 

CHARM CITY KILLER is the first of three (so far) books in the Charm City Thrillers series, fast psychological thrillers with unforgettable psychos. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love that so many like to lend a helping hand. You can always find lots of great advice and encouragement on social media and free Webinars on writing and promoting writing. Even if we don’t become wildly successful we’ve got some good Karma coming to us. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you. I appreciate each and every one of you… And sorry for the nightmares.


Where can people connect with you?

Instagram- charmcitythrillers, Twitter- @charmcitythril1, Facebook- Charmcity Thrillers, and sign up for e-mail alerts about new releases and promotions at www.charmcitythrillers.com . 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview