Jillian Moody interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

My Dad gave me a book called The Big Book for Peace. It was a collection of short stories and poems promoting treating others and the world well. Throughout a chaotic childhood, I clutched that thing to my chest like a shield.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Writing and sharing short stories started before I turned ten, but I thought writing full novels was a far-fetched dream, like becoming a pop star. It wasn't until I had a story that refused to end that I realized I could be an author.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I was working days as a full time teacher and nights as a bartender for a long time. It was only after I was able to quit bartending that I had time for writing. As I was drafting my first novel, I was overwhelmed by the realization that writing and creating has become a privilege for those able to afford time. That broke me a little.  The writing piece, a bit every night, was the best. I loved following my characters along and seeing where they would end up. Querying and promoting the book is by far the worst bit. Can't people just know how great it is? Sheesh. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

If you are at all able, take time for yourself and your writing. 


Tell us about your book/books:

I'm just about to release the second book in my trilogy. It uses memory control as a device for looking at issues we're facing in the US such as xenophobia, sexism, and rewriting history. I have five POVs who come at the situation from all levels of power. There's a little romance, a little action, and a lot of twists and turns. I've been told that it feels a bit like The Giver and a bit like GOT, which is a pretty fun combo!


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I just joined Twitter to get my book out in the world and have been stunned by how much I've gained as an author and as a human. I've met wonderful people who help each other out in big and small ways. It's been amazing to connect with people from all over the world! I can't keep track of how many countries my novel is in now, and that is amazing in itself. Plus, it's broadened my genres as a reader. I almost exclusively read indie books now!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for reading, first of all. Second, let me know who your favorite protagonist is! I love them all and can't wait to chat about the story with you!


Where can people connect with you?

I'm on Twitter @SEPAnovels and Instagram @freedomreadersmoody


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview