Jenna Morrison interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hello everyone! My name is Jenna Morrison, and I'm from Elizabeth, Colorado. I am a college graduate, obtaining a Bachelor of Science & Business Administration. I now live in Denver, Colorado. In addition to being an author, I am also a self-taught artist at J.K.Morrison Fine Art.


When did your love of books begin?

I have loved writing for as long as I can recall, but I didn't like reading as much. It was probably in 5th grade when I discovered the beauty in storytelling. I was intrigued because I could create my own "movie" in my head, write it down, and show the world.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

The wish to become an author had started at around the time I was in 5th grade (I believe), and after I was able to write a few short stories and poems. That same year is when my short story, "My First Horse," was published in the Elbert County Newspaper, and I believe that drove me to write more and strive for that dream. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Oh boy, it has been a wild ride for sure, and I was very lucky to land the opportunities that I have been given. I am a person who doesn't give up, no matter how many times I've been told "no."  So at 13 and 17  years old, I self-published two short stories, but I had no clue how the industry worked or what the process involved. It wasn't until I started to brew the story ideas for, "A Brother's Truth," when I started to do research (This time, I knew I wanted to land a publisher). I wrote the story, signed up on Critique Match and found beta-readers and critique partners. During this time, I learned more about the industry, I got to know more people and build more connections. The process was much harder than I had imagined, and it was a painful experience because of the query rejections, but overall it helped me build thicker skin and improve as a writer. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Honestly, if you have an idea that you want to write a story, then just do it. Don't let fear determine your outcome. If you want to strive for that dream, don't let the negativities get to you, and don't give up. Simply learn from the negative or harsh feedback, don't be afraid of re-writing, and keep trudging through. 


Tell us about your book/books:

My newest novel, "A Brother's Truth," is a young-adult dark historical fiction. The story has a release date of February 4, 2022 (published by Darkstroke Publishing).   The debut novel is set in Mequon, Wisconsin (year 1897). It is a tale about  brotherhood, crime, revenge, and redemption. 

The story begins with Matthew and William Cayden, two peasant brothers who run the family farm and raise the younger siblings. In the past, Matt and Will were close as brothers, until one day, everything had changed. Will is a mess (I'll admit), but Matt is off-the-charts dysfunctional because of his dark past, as well as his hot-headed temper. All Will wants is a normal life and to be financially stable; Meanwhile, all Matt wants to do is live it up and create mischief. When Matt is in trouble again with the law, Will finds out about his latest arrest, which pushes their strained relationship to the limit. When Matt's behavior brings in more trouble, the brothers are entangled with greater challenges, leading them toward grave danger.

Then, the narrative will often switch to Lilianna Miller, the adopted cousin of the Cayden brothers. Unlike Matt and Will, Lilianna comes from a wealthy background and from a family who is stable, and she is the most sane character within the story. The two sides of the families: The Caydens and the Millers, have not spoken in over ten years.  

Lilianna wants to reunite with her long-lost cousins (Matt and Will), but her adoptive father refuses because he believes that Matt and Will are full of trouble.  When her parents are murdered, she is bloodthirsty for revenge, as well as a need to find her cousins.

I am particularly drawn to stories about dysfunctional families, and I also wanted to create a "siblings" themed story. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Honestly, the writing and reading community have been so supportive throughout my writing journey. I have gained many author-friendships, and I am forever grateful for that. They are a community that will welcome anyone with open arms.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you all so much for your support throughout this journey! My readers and fans are the best! 


Where can people connect with you?

You can follow me on:
Twitterhttps://twitter.com/authorjmorrison, or find me by my username: @AuthorJMorrison
Instagram: @authorjennamorrison, or https://www.instagram.com/authorjennamorrison/
TikTok:  @authorjenna

My bio can be found through my publisher's website at: http://www.darkstroke.com/dark-stroke/jenna-morrison/

And you can also find my personal website at: https://www.jennakmorrison.com/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview