Jenifer Kanin interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

Some of my earliest memories from childhood include hiding under the covers with a flashlight so that I could continue reading past my bedtime. I have always been captivated by books and the stories they contain. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I never really thought that I would! I always had those 'that would make a great book' conversations, but with the time and difficulty involved in sitting down and writing the story to a finished product, I never thought I would be able to do it. My writing was always limited to short stories and poems. With Unmasked it was a combination of an idea I was excited about and the time to follow it through to the end.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The writing and story development were much more enjoyable than I expected. The editing and promotion side was way more difficult than I anticipated. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

The hardest part of writing is to put your work out there for others to read. You feel very vulnerable. You really have to be willing to put your pride aside and get as many eyes on your writing as possible. You can't take criticism personally, even if you don't think it is valid. The feedback you receive is invaluable to improving your skill as a writer. 


Tell us about your book/books:

Unmasked is the first volume in a mystery series, told from the perspective of the forest animals that live near a quiet suburban street. The story centers on Gary, a raccoon, and his friend Jenny a bunny. Jenny figures out a way that Gary can disguise himself to be able to enter into the human's homes in search of food and supplies, but the pair quickly get caught up in the mystery of who is behind the recent string of animal disappearances and murders in the area. Think Agatha Christie meets The Fantastic Mr. Fox. 

While it is a fun, hero's quest  - and at times funny story - there is a deeper subtext that deals with the questions of who were are as individuals, and what qualities we should value as a society. 



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the passion! Readers become so involved and engaged with the stories they are reading. When someone reaches out to tell me that my book made them laugh out loud, or cry, or that they highlighted quotes in the book they loved, it makes my day? I also love the thought that my writing could be a gift to someone I have never met before. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you! With so many great books to read in the world, I am grateful for anyone takes the time to read mine. 


Where can people connect with you?

I am on Instagram @garyunmasked or Facebook - @ Gary Raccoon or Jenifer Kanin. Email garyunmasked@gmail.com 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview