Jean M. Roberts interview

 AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:
Hello, my name is Jean M. Roberts. I am an author of historical fiction/ historical fantasy. I graduated from the University of St. Thomas in Houston with a degree in nursing. I am a veteran of the U.S. Air Force. I live outside of Houston, Texas. 

When did your love of books begin?
I started reading at a young age and became a lifelong voracious reader. The local library was a second home and I spent lots of time there picking out new books. I fell in love with historical fiction as a teenager and it is still my favourite genre to read. 

When did you start to have the wish to become an author?
For many years I toyed with the idea that I could write a book, but it was only in the last four years that I actually put pen to paper. I didn’t tell anyone I was writing and it was a surprise to not only myself but my friends and family that I had written a book. 

How have you found the process for becoming an author?
Well, I tell everyone that writing is the easy part, it’s everything else that is difficult. I self-published my first two books and so had to learn how to format the manuscript and everything else that goes along with the publication process. I viewed it more as a challenge than a hurdle. It’s been fun. The search for an agent/publisher is excruciating and my least favourite part of the process. 

What would you say to those wanting to become an author?
Do it! Write your story. But have a plan. Research the process, join a writer’s group. Reach out to other authors for advice. Get plenty of beta readers and don’t fool yourself that you can edit your own book. 

Tell us about your book/books:
My first two books are pure historical fiction. Weave a Web of Witchcraft is the story of Mary and Hugh Parsons, a real New England couple, who were accused and tried for witchcraft in 1651. It’s a great psychological thriller. Book number two is Blood in the Valley. This is the story of my family during the American Revolution as told by a female ancestor. It’s a family saga with a little bit of magical realism. The Heron, which was published this April by Black Rose Writing is a blend of historical fiction and time slip. It’s a paranormal ghost story/love story set in New Hampshire in 1690s and modern time.  The Frowning Madonna is scheduled to be published in March on 2022 and is a whirlwind telling of English history by three young Roman adults who are reincarnated until they return a lost orb to the goddess Cybele. It’s a ton of fun. I am currently writing my fifth book, The Angel of Goliad which is dual time story set during the Texas Revolution of 1836 and modern time, it is a unique take on imaginary friends. 

What do you love about the writing/reading community?
For the most part, I have found the writing community to be amazingly helpful. Ask a question and you’ll get dozens of answers. Readers are helpful in suggestion new reads and offering to beta/alpha read new manuscripts. I found my beta readers and editor on twitter!

If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?
Thanks for taking the time to read my books. I really hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them. I would also love for you to write a review, however brief, and post it to Amazon or any other review site. I am always happy to hear from readers and love getting emails!

Where can people connect with you?
I love to interact with readers and other authors so lets connect.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview