J.C. Paulson interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

J.C. (Joanne) Paulson was born with ink in her veins.

She wanted to write from time immemorial, and decided in Grade 6 that she would become a journalist, for how else would she make a living with her words?

And so she did. She worked for newspapers, wrote for magazines, and then . . . these characters starting yelling at her. A few years ago, rather late in the game, she began writing mystery novels (laced with love) known as the Adam and Grace Series. She has also recently written a historical fiction based in 1880s Canada, which will be published by Black Rose Writing in February 2022.


When did your love of books begin?

I assume, although I was barely sentient, that the love affair began when I was about two. My mother was determined to teach me to read shortly after I could walk and apparently managed to pull it off. I cannot recall a time when I did not read voraciously. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I suppose it was always a dream, but I squashed it. I couldn’t really imagine being able to write fiction, and for years I was far too busy to do anything but work (mostly writing, editing and managing newspaper “pages”) and sleep. My brain ultimately had other ideas. During a very bad time about seven years ago, fraught with insomnia and grief, the plot of my first novel, Adam’s Witness, quite literally sprang into my head at three in the morning. The characters rather insisted I write it down. After that, I found I couldn’t stop.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It has been among the most challenging learning experiences of my life. I could already write, I hope, reasonably well; one doesn’t get far in journalism without being able to spin a story, research, spell and edit. Figuring out how to use the imagination, how to write a proper chapter, how to connect all the plot points was another matter. I managed to more or less learn the technical aspects, such as creating a website and uploading manuscripts. Marketing, however, is a thing of confusion unto itself. Therein lies the insanity. Sigh.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Oh dear, so many things. First, I think, is to make sure there is a budget behind you, even if it’s a small one. Few of us can manage the whole thing alone, and many of us are indies without the support of publishers. Books need strong covers and good editing. Every book. No matter who you are. Secondly, if you have the time before publication (some people just jump right in!), learn everything you can about marketing. Develop a plan. And start building your social media network well ahead of publication day.


Tell us about your book/books:

There are five books in the Adam and Grace Series so far: four novels and a novella. Every book is grounded in relationships and contains a social message important to my heart. You can’t always remove the journalist from the author. I advise people to be aware, too, that the bedroom door is open.  

The historical fiction, entitled Blood and Dust, tells the story of a young man in Toronto who is accused of a crime he did not commit. He is forced to flee and rides across half the country to settle in a small territorial town, encountering people and experiencing violence and friendships along the way. It takes place over about two years, 1880-1882, and follows the building of the Canadian railway.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The support. The writing community has provided advice, hugs, friendships, and so much more. I don’t know what I would do without my author friends and their wisdom.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.


Where can people connect with you?

The best place is likely via my website, https://www.jcpaulsonwriter.com/. I can also be found on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/JoanneCPaulson/ (although I do have three FB pages) and on Twitter here https://twitter.com/joanne_paulson which is where most of the shenanigans take place. I am also on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulson.joanne/. Here is my Amazon US profile page, as well: https://www.amazon.com/J-C-Paulson/e/B071GVF9N4.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview