Heather Lynn interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi there! I'm Heather. I grew up in Toronto, Ontario, in a nice community close to school and friends my own age, with a park literally right around the corner. Then, I was outgoing and regularly found my share of trouble—a girl's gotta have fun, right?! My background/schooling is in science all the way, health sciences, and biology, to be exact. Now, I live just north of the city, with my husband and 2 of my 3 sons. I enjoy spending time with my family, working in the garden with my flowers and herbs, and spending time at my cottage. 


When did your love of books begin?  & When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I've always enjoyed reading many genres: historical fiction, thriller, crime, mystery. Then I found myself in the middle of a few historical/romance series' (Outlander, Into the Wilderness, Clan of the Cave Bear) and I was hooked. These are the stories that got me going. Still, I would never have predicted that in my forties, I would find that I had a story in me. That's when I learned I love writing too!   


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Becoming an author has been a challenging process. As someone who had no idea how to do ANYTHING writing-related, I did my best to research. I found tons of information online and the #writingcommunity on twitter is amazing. At first, I opted to go with a self-publishing company to help me through the steps and make sure I did everything right. This was safe and the quality of work was good, but it was not the most cost-effective method.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

If you are looking to become an author, I would definitely recommend getting out there on social media and asking questions—twitter and instagram have amazing writing communities with people interested and willing to help with any little question. Also, do your research, be sure to cover your bases. You need as much information going forward as you can get.


Tell us about your book/books:

My books? Well, I'll start by saying that I'm writing a story that I would enjoy reading. When I got this story in my head, it was a doozy. The Sky Watcher Book Series is an epic adventure/love story. I expect it will take me 6 books to tell it. Book 1, Sky Watcher: A Shadow in Time, was my debut novel released in 2019. It's follow-up, Sky Watcher: Déjà-Vu, was released last March. Book 3, whose title has not yet been shared (Sky Watcher: Between the Shadows🤫) will release early in the New Year.

This story starts with Charlotte Harper, who is a Wiccan, learning that a possible ancestor was hanged for the crime of murder by witchcraft in 1819. Using the strength of her beliefs and the power within her stones, she travels back in time to try to save Elizabeth's fate. Once there, she immerses herself in the community, working in the General Store to earn her keep, and uses her knowledge of herbs and medicine to help those in need. While awaiting Elizabeth’s arrival, she forms strong bonds with those around her, finding herself part of a tight-knit circle of friends and deeply in love. As the deadline of the execution nears, visions of the future begin to plague her and those around her. Can she undo what happened almost two centuries ago? With two lives on the line, she knows she must face the consequences of meddling with time, even if it costs her everything.

The saga continues in book 2. Charlotte knows that walking through one door often closes many others, so when she dreams of warnings from the future she left behind, she wants to understand. Is her best friend reaching out to her from home? What is she trying to tell her? Knowing that one single choice can change who is your friend, your lover, who lives, and who dies, Charlotte must choose her path wisely so as not to make the same mistakes.

 

These stories really are a collision of contemporary women's fiction, historical fiction, and romance genres, with a sprinkling of something mystical, time travel, and Native American culture.

I think that combining my knowledge and interests has given me a nice variety of topics to blend, in creating Charlotte’s world. From her understanding of physiology to her enjoyment of gardening and working knowledge of herbs; from her deep-felt beliefs in her stones to her work using the moon’s energy in its different phases. All of these topics came together perfectly.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing community is always there to field any type of question you may have. No question is too small or silly. They truly are there to help if they can and share in your journey as an author.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

If I could say anything to my readers it would be this... "Thank you from the bottom of my heart." 
It means so much that a reader would check out the blurb of an unknown person claiming to be an author, and take a chance on reading the story. And those readers who then go on to leave a review? You are the cream of the crop. 
Also, I would say, "Please . . . Tell your friends about the book you enjoyed."


Where can people connect with you?

You can find me on twitter and instagram @SkyWatcher_HL and facebook at www.facebook.com/SkyWatcher.HL


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown