Edelweis Ritt interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I read and love books since I learned to read. My dad had a big library at home, which made it easier.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

As a teenager, I wrote letters, poems, short stories, little articles. I won some awards from school. I am Brazilian and during my studies in Germany, I started structuring a novel that I never finished. The firm idea came in 2016 with Ausentes, my first book.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I watched some courses, read lots of books, such as "On writing" from Stephen King, "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott, "On writing well" by Zinsser etc.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Be prepared to invest time. There are tons of books out there and you have to be prepared for the competition. And finish. It seems obvious but lots of books stay unfinished. I also recommend reading again the works that inspire you and you like but as an author not as a reader. I mean, reading as an author is reading and observing how the author did, the words she/he used, and so on..


Tell us about your book/books:

I have two published books and seven WIP. My first book Ausentes is an amateur sleuth mystery. São José dos Ausentes - Brazil. A skull found in a creek propels Ana into a manic phase in her cyclothymic mind. With the assistance of her cousin, the town police chief, she investigates a murder. The geologist Rodrigo disappeared four years before, after a short vacation with his family and having evaluated the presence of rare earth mines. A mystery with a glimpse into the cultural life of contemporary South Brazilians.

My second book is only published in Brazil and paperback and it is a retelling of Anne of Green Gables happening in Brazil in 2002. My Anne is a Brazilian girl adopted by a couple in São Paulo. About the WIPs, the most important ones: - Ana's (Ausentes protagonist) second case. After Ausentes she decides to be a forensic agent and it will be a series. - A mystery in Rio de Janeiro slums (favela) - unrelated to the previous ones - A mystery in Brazil colony 1835 - Protagonist is a slave from Calabar today Nigeria - Another retelling but from a historical event


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love people that read books. :) I love the support here on Twitter. It is very difficult for someone like me from Brazil to reach for readers. In Brazil, I am a published author and my publisher helped me with sales channels and distributors, but outside of Brazil, I had to find my way alone. The community helps a lot. I also rely on people to judge my books. I need feedback from abroad to see if I am able to entertain people with my stories. If people are interested in reading books from Brazil.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I value every opinion about my books and I am honored to hear what you have to say ;)


Where can people connect with you?

My Twitter account, My Instagram account, my protagonist Ana's Instagram account, my Author webpage. garcez-ritt.de I would love to be contacted.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview