Dylan Thomas Good interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I'm a blustery bastard who has been keeping busy for years as a writer and producer. I'm currently starting my own multimedia and publishing company, Trash Raiders Media, which is forthcoming in 2022.


When did your love of books begin?

Probably about the time I got into school. Back in the 'old days' of the late 1970s and early 1980s, people my age in the US will surely remember the Scholastic book services. In short, you brought money for a book to school in a little envelope, say $1.95 (plus the horrific 50 cents for shipping and handling!!), and about a month later you received your book. In that era, this was a nice way to engage young folks into reading and, in my case, it worked! One of the first books I ordered was "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White, which I still believe is a wonderful and poignant story. I moved onto "The Exorcist" a few years later, so it's no wonder I'm a bit of a headcase.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Age 16--I had just moved to Las Vegas, and my entire world shifted. It was such a turbulent, prosperous area in the early 1990s, and it kind of scared the hell out of me at the time. I think writing was a way for me to retreat from the pressures of life and somehow purge a lot of the unresolved bullshit I had from my youth. My first interest was screenwriting, and I enrolled in continuing education classes at UNLV to study under writers responsible for the "MASH" television series, as well as numerous Disney projects. I still see a lot of my writing through a 'movie' filter, and I'm sure it's one of the things that influenced my first novel, "Woof", which deals with filmmaking.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

As artists, we often foist certain methods of working on ourselves. We do this out of the notion that it's the 'best' for us, but most of these things don't work. If you start young, like I did, you throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Sometimes, I still do! It's a learning experience for each one of us. For me, my effective methods, strengths, and interests eventually rose above the sludge. Hang in there and you'll ultimately find your voice, your niche, and your audience.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Stick with what you know. I have this thing I keep on my desk that reads "Tell Your Own Story". Everyone has their individual path in life and no one can take that from you. Your own experiences are almost always the best foundations for a story. It took me years to learn this, but after I started using my own life as a springboard for my work, the whole thing became much, much easier. Always remember that your writing may be the thing that gets one person (or a million!) through a tough time in their life. It might set a fire under them and be the catalyst for them finding their own strengths. That kind of shit is priceless, so don't ever give up...not just on writing, but on life itself.


Tell us about your book/books:

My next novel, "The Loop", details my years in the blue-collar trade on the coast of Oregon. It's a funny, filthy, moving, and wonderful rollercoaster ride full of great characters. I can't wait to share it with the world. I'm on target to have it released in November 2022. After that, I'm looking at re-releasing some of my older titles, as well as moving on to lots of other fun projects. I have enough material and ideas for literally the rest of my life. The question is: which to work on next?


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The support, definitely. It's been amazing to see the way writers really champion each other's work. No matter who you are or how successful you are or aren't, everyone's a fan of someone.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Buckle up because I have some ridiculously big ambitions. My ride is going to get faster, more rewarding, and lots more entertaining here in the next few years, and I want you all here with me!


Where can people connect with you?

I'm in the midst of doing some retooling in anticipation of "The Loop", but for now, the best places to keep up with my adventures are Twitter (@dylanthomasgood), as well as my website, www.DylanThomasGood.com.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown