D.R. Ranshaw interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I'm D.R. Ranshaw, retired educator and Canadian author of a certain age, writing epic fantasy.


When did your love of books begin?

Well... it's so long ago, buried in the mists of time... my parents began by reading to me until I was old enough to take on the task myself. I was enthralled then, and remain so to this day.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Writing just naturally went hand in hand with reading. As soon as I could do the latter, I began the former. Didn't everyone? (Well, no, obviously not, but that was the logic in my tender young mind.)


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Writing is, paradoxically, the easiest part (in some ways --- there are certainly days when, to paraphrase Hemingway, just about all you can do is sit at the computer and bleed, wondering where in the hell the Muse disappeared to). All the minutiae associated with publishing is the more difficult part. As mostly introverted creatives, I think this is true for most writers.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Do it because you must write, because you love to write, not because you have visions of being rich and famous. Those visions are all very well, but like any worthwhile creative enterprise, you do it because there's this deep compulsion within you to create. And practice your craft: read, read, read, and write, write, write.


Tell us about your book/books:

Several years back, I self-published Gryphon's Heir, the first book in... who knows how many there'll be? It's an epic fantasy centred on a British schoolmaster who quite literally discovers a door in his classroom that has no right to be there. Going through it leads him to another world where, it turns out, he has a pivotal role to play in an ancient struggle between good and evil.

Since then, I've been working on the sequel and am nearly finished it, but then, last May, I was hijacked by a different protagonist --- same world, different time, or circumstances, I'm not quite sure which, because she hasn't told me --- who demanded I tell her story. So I've been working on that ever since...


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

For the most part, it's extremely supportive and affirming.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Enjoy the ride. The gratification for me comes when you love these characters and stories as much as I do.


Where can people connect with you?

My website is at drranshaw.com and there are numerous features there, from news, to my blog, to where to purchase my book...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview