Courtenay S. Gray interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

A little introduction:

Courtenay S. Gray is a writer from the North of England. You’ll find her work in an array of journals such as A Thin Slice of Anxiety, Misery Tourism, Expat Press, Red Fez, and many more. 


When did your love of books begin?

It began when I was tiny. My parents read books to me in the evening, but I don’t believe I came to love reading purely because of that. I was somehow born with an innate love for reading. Books are a massive part of my life, and without them, there would be an enormous hole. I have always been an independent reader. In primary school, our parents had to sign our ‘Reading Diary’, but I eventually moved on to reading by myself and quite voraciously, might I add. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

This happened at the same time as my love for books began. I knew right away that my destiny was to become a writer. I have always known that this would be my path. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It has been a long journey, and that journey is far from over. You can take many avenues to become one, but there will be people who are entrenched in tradition. A lot of doubt can and will be cast upon your ability to survive this industry which is dependent on how you handle rejection and other such things. Now, I think that is a load of nonsense. A lot of writers tend to try and strip the emotion away from new writers. You must feel something. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Be very careful who you listen to. People prey on those new to the writing scene. It is imperative that you keep a strong head, and you must believe in your work. Many will swoop in and try to change your work to ‘make it better’, but you are the only person who knows anything about it. And, you will sometimes feel like all hope is lost and you aren’t being noticed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be appreciated, and don’t let others tell you otherwise. You will meet many fools in this industry, but you must be wiser than them. 


Tell us about your book/books:

I have mainly self-published. I have published three collections of poetry and one play. However, my singular work will often be published in various journals with varying degrees of notoriety. Sometimes the work I do passes people by silently, and sometimes it hits them in the face. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

This may come as a shock to some, but I love the marketing side of this community. I find it fascinating to watch how others try and sell their books. Marketing is a necessary part of being a writer, and you shouldn’t hate it. If you’re passionate about what you do, you should want to shout it from the rooftops. Before I became a part of the writing community, I made many online friends. This community makes it viable for me to interact with readers and fellow writers across the globe. It helps you find your market because you can see what is popular and what isn’t. There will always be a slot for you, but you have to shout the loudest to be heard. As we move away from old literary traditions, these types of communities are helping to shape the future of books and writing in general. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

First of all, I would like to thank you all. Ultimately, I hope that you see some value in the work that I do. A writer can only be the cheerleader for their own work for so long. They need other people to cheer them on to, as it is only human nature. Whatever you do, don’t stop reading. With so much negativity, I ask you to take the time to be optimistic about the great work of writers. Finally, I hope that I make you feel something, even when you are at your emptiest. 


Where can people connect with you?

You can connect with me on Twitter. My username is @courtenaywrites. My Instagram has the same username. I also have a blog which is: www.courtenayscorner.com. If you’re interested in finding some of my plays, then you can find me on the New Play Exchange: www.newplayexchange.org/users/67766/courtenay-s-gray.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview