Claire Bates interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi I am Claire.  I live in Buckinghamshire, England with my husband, children and 2 guinea pigs.  I love reading, writing, running and baking, although I never seem to have quite as much time to do all of these things as I would l like!

I absolutely love books and reading is one of my favourite past times. I also enjoy writing and making up stories for my young children.  It was my children saying how much they loved my stories that gave me the push to try to publish some of them.  I could spend hours in a library or a bookshop as I just love the feeling I get when I am surrounded by books. Unfortunately I don’t have much spare time to do this. 


When did your love of books begin?

I think ever since I learnt to read, I have loved books and reading. I remember from quite a young age, perhaps 8 or 9  years old, spending whole afternoons sitting on the sofa reading.  It is still my favourite way to switch off, unfortunately I just don’t have as much time to read as I would like now.  I often ask people to buy me books for my birthday and Christmas, as they are likely to choose something I might not choose for myself, so it is a great way to discover something new.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

As a child I used to write poetry, and I entered a competition in a local newspaper and one of my poems was printed.  Ever since then I have always been interested in writing, but it took many more years for me to pursue it seriously.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It can be a long process, and it can be disheartening.  I was really lucky to have a book published, and I hope that it won’t be my last, but only time will tell.  


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I think really, I would say to enjoy your writing, and get something out of that.  In relation to being published,  just keep trying and have faith in your work.  Rejections are part of writing, but try not to feel upset, just keep moving on.


Tell us about your book/books:

Baboon on the Moon is about a baboon named Edgar St Neeze. Edgar is convinced that the moon is made of cheese, and he has decided that the best way to find out for sure, is to move there to allow him to explore freely.  The book follows his adventures before he reaches a final conclusion.  It is a rhyming, picture book which is fun and which hopefully makes children laugh.





What do you love about the writing/reading community?

We all share something in common, and that is our love of books and the pleasure we get from them. I have found the community very supportive, friendly and welcoming, which is lovely.  I have also discovered so many new books and writers from being a part of that community than I was aware of before.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

To the children, I would say that I hope you love my book.  Keep listening to stories, and reading books yourself when you are able to read, as they can give you so much pleasure and knowledge.  To the parents who may read my book to their children, I would say that I hope it is one that you enjoy reading.  Also, do please leave a review, as it means so much to authors, and of course, please consider buying it for your friends children!


Where can people connect with you?

I am on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. My handle is @CBatesAuthor.   https://twitter.com/CBatesAuthor

https://www.instagram.com/cbatesauthor/

https://www.facebook.com/CBatesAuthor

I hope to meet lots more of the reading and writing community soon!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview