Catherine McCarthy interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW 


A little introduction:

First of all, I must say thank you, Fraser, for inviting me to your blog.

My name is Catherine McCarthy, and I’m a Welsh author of dark fiction. Born and bred in the industrial valleys of South Wales, I now live in the more picturesque west of the country and can often be found roaming the coastal paths, armed with a picnic.


When did your love of books begin?

Some of my earliest memories are of books, and not just books but the whole story-telling tradition. I was fortunate enough to have a mother who had a certain way with words, one who embedded the joy of story-telling in me from a very young age. She also taught me the basics of reading before I started school.

I remember my very first day. On discovering I could already read, my teacher took me up a narrow flight of stairs to the little library that stood next to the headteacher's office. “Choose a book to take home,” she said, “ but don’t tell the other children.” And I did. I can picture it now: a picture book about a farm, complete with chickens and a red tractor. My point here is this: instilling belief in a child that they can be successful in something, be it reading or anything else for that matter, is a gift that child carries with them throughout life.

Book gifts were always an essential part of Christmas and were treasured. Books don’t smell like they did back then, unfortunately.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Again, I believe the answer to this links with my answer above. I achieved success in story writing from a very young age, and with success comes confidence. It just felt natural. As a primary school teacher I often wrote stories specifically for the children I taught, and it all started from there.

A little anecdote about the whole ‘success’ thing... when my mother died she left each of us a few treasured possessions which she’d kept in a special box. Mine included a story I’d written at the age of six. The teacher was so impressed with it, she’d sent me to the headteacher’s office, who, in turn, stuck silver stars on it and wrote a lovely comment. Little did I know that my mother had treasured it all those years.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The process is very much determined by what you want out of it. It’s definitely a steep learning curve with regards to getting your work in front of people. For me, the most valuable thing writing delivers is a positive mental focus and a sense of satisfaction. Becoming a household name is WAY down my list of priorities, Yes, of course it’s nice if people enjoy what you’ve written, but being able to express myself creatively in a literary form far outweighs any notoriety I receive. If you’re having to spend most of your time submitting work and liaising with various agents, publishers, managers etc. then for me some of the joy would be lost.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

If you feel the desire to write then do it. Don’t even think about putting your work in front of an audience to start with, though. Spend time honing your skills first. I don’t wish to be pessimistic about the process, but if financial gain is your main motivator then forget it. You have to do it for the love of it. You also need to be prepared to be knocked back, because trust me, it will happen time and time again. Rejection is a huge part of the business. However, the successes far outweigh it.


Tell us about your book/books:

I currently have two short story collections published and a novella.

Door and other twisted tales is a collection of themed portal stories set in various locations from the UK to Australia, Japan to Lanzarote. This was the first collection I published and I would say it’s darker than my second collection.

My most recent collection is called Mists and Megaliths. All the stories in this one are set in Wales and about 50% were previously published in anthologies, online, or in magazines. It’s a great mix of dark folklore, ghosts, and it even includes a dark comedy. The stories are accompanied by notes that explain the inspiration behind them.

My novella, Immortelle, was published July 2021 by Off Limits Press. It’s a Gothic ghost story, set in the tiny hamlet of Mwnt in West Wales.

More information about my work can be found on my Amazon author page here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/~/e/B07RQYTT4P


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Honestly, I’ve met some wonderful people I now consider friends, especially through Twitter. From bloggers to readers as well as fellow writers, the relationships I’ve formed have helped me no end. I suppose the best thing about the community is the fact that it’s like-minded. Each and every one of us is in it for the love of books. It far outweighs my friendships in ‘real life’ as far as mutual support is concerned.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

If you’re looking for jump scares or gore you’ll be sorely disappointed, but if you enjoy a sense of creeping dread, and stories with folklore elements, then you’ve come to the right place.

I would also like to add that I appreciate every single reader far more than they realize.

Motto: Never take your audience for granted.


Where can people connect with you?

My website is currently desktop only because it includes a lot of moving images and artwork: catherine-mccarthy-author.com

You can also find me hanging out on Twitter: https://twitter.com/serialsemantic

Or Instagram... https://www.instagram.com/catherine_mccarthy_author/?hl=en

Please jump on in and say hello!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview