B. Fox interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Whenever I have to introduce myself, I make it a point to keep it short. I don’t share too much about my private life.

My name is B. Fox, I’m 31, and I’m a novelist. I’ve been writing for many years with no intention of ever publishing any of it. This changed in late 2019 when I decided to give it a chance. My first novel was self-published in early 2021.


When did your love of books begin?

Both my parents are avid readers, so there were always plenty of books at home. I was a bit lazy as a kid. I read only a few books, and re-read them many times. I was much more into films, which is simply another form of storytelling. I started to really get into books in my teens and in my 20s. I’m the kind of person that watches the movie first and then decides to get the book. I always end up loving the book more.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Like I said, as a kid I was a huge movie fan. One of my dreams was to become a filmmaker. The chances of doing that were very small, so I never tried. I studied and worked in other fields during my 20s. I wrote a lot of fanfiction during that time, just to keep myself distracted while working on things I didn’t really like. Then, in 2019, I watched Joker, the Todd Phillips film. It impacted me in a completely unexpected way. I was once again struck by the amazing power of storytelling, and it reminded me of my former dream of being a filmmaker. I thought, if I can’t make the films, at least I can write the stories. In the end, it’s all about the stories. So I decided to just go for it.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Being a self-published author, you have to learn to do many different things. Writing the story is just one of them. I have enjoyed the process and I have learned so many new skills. I had no budget when I started out, so I did it all by myself: writing, editing, formatting, translating, marketing, etc. It can all be done if you’re willing to invest enough time. It’s not always easy, but when you see your book succeed, and you know you did it all by yourself, you can feel really, really proud of it.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I’d say, first of all, take it serious. Write your story as if it was going to be the next classic. Love it, believe in it, and write it with passion. Then, keep in mind that what you are producing is art. Not everyone is going to like it, and that’s all right.


Tell us about your book/books:

“Paper Castles,” my debut novel, is a slice-of-life story set during the Great Recession of 2008, and it follows the struggles of an average young man with big hopes and dreams, who’s trying to find his place in a world that is not the same anymore.

Paper Castles was published in February 2021 and has found many fans in this relatively short time. At the moment, I’m working on my second novel, “Fiver.” I hope to publish it in 2022. Both books belong to the contemporary/literary fiction genre.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I was very surprised to find such a supportive community on Twitter. Fellow writers, and especially independent authors, know the hardships of getting your work out there, and they certainly pull together to help each other grow. In a world where everyone wants to compete, it’s very gratifying to find some who still know the value of cooperating.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would thank them, of course, for giving my book a chance. Being a new author with a low profile, this is not something I take for granted. I’d also tell them to keep reading, whether it be my books or someone else’s. Reading is not only one of the greatest pleasures in life, it’s also the one thing that will open your mind and heart.


Where can people connect with you?

I am always on Twitter (@b_fox1989), where I’m happy to make new friends, to engage, to help, and to talk about books.

And if you want to check out my book, just visit Amazon: mybook.to/papercastles


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview