Astrid Knight interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi! I'm Astrid Knight, a fantasy author from Michigan, USA. I have stories in such anthologies as Skullgate Media's In the Wake of the Kraken: Tales from the Year Between Vol. 3 and the upcoming Heads and Tales Vol. 2. My debut novel, Perception Check (The Mages of Velmyra Book 1) will be released in May 2022.


When did your love of books begin?

I fell in love with books basically since the moment I could read. I've loved stories in any format since I can remember, and whenever I got in trouble, they were the only source of entertainment that my parents wouldn't take away from me as punishment because it was educational. Little did they know, it made getting grounded no real punishment at all. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

When I was in middle school, I wrote this really terrible "book" (if you call 20 pages of 14 point arial font a book) that was a real Disney Channel Original Movie type. It is not what I'd call National Book Award-worthy, but I got praised by so many teachers, friends, family. My mom said she CRIED. It was the first time where I realized I could do something affecting with my storytelling, and it was a high that I've been chasing ever since.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

For a long time, my plan was just "write." How it was going to get out to people was a mystery. The traditional publishing route seemed so far off and frankly not all that appealing since I knew I would probably have to sacrifice a lot of my story elements for the sake of marketability. A friend of mine a couple years ago started out in self-publishing, which I had a ton of misconceptions about. Through him and social media, though, I determine that self-publishing actually has a wide array of talent, skill, and stories that traditional publishers won't take a chance on. It's incredible how technology has made publishing a more accessible experience for those who never thought they'd get heard.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Research EVERYTHING. Research both traditional and self publishing. Talk to other writers. Encourage other writers. Ask other writers about their routines and methods. Engage and be knowledgeable about what you want going into the publishing process. And WRITE. That's the most important part.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first book Perception Check, focuses on a 23 year old woman struggling with PTSD, depression, and anxiety after she and her best friend were attacked by monsters ten years previous. Through a series of events, she finds out the tabletop roleplaying game she and her friends love is actually based in reality, and her kidnapped friend may have been taken to the land of the game. She and her friends must travel to the land of Velmyra and face creatures they've only believed to be fiction, while dealing with personal demons at the same time. This is the first book in a five books series, which focuses a lot on mental health, queer identity, and reclaiming power. 

Aside from that, I have a short story in an anthology called In the Wake of the Kraken. My story is called "The Ballad of Tamsin the Tattered" and focuses on a disgraced pirate queen returning to the island where her crew perished to once and for all achieve immortality. I also have a story coming out in Heads and Tales Vol. 2. My story, called "What If It's Mothman?" focuses on a woman who believes Mothman is trying to warn her of an impending disaster at the local power plant. Both anthologies have some amazing writers and stories, so I highly recommend them!


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The unwavering support I've gotten from the writing and reading community has been astounding to me. Most everyone who I have met through just random social media interactions or collaborative projects have been supremely sweet and encouraging. In a world of combativeness and conflict, I think that it's special that there's at least one pocket of the internet that's a positive safe haven.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Hi! I hope you've liked the stories I've given you so far. When you read Perception Check, I hope you're able to find as much healing out of it as I did. Also, tell me what characters you want to smooch. I want to know.


Where can people connect with you?

I'm on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram under @AstridKWrites. You can also find my website under astridknight.com. I'm also part of an actual play DND Twitch stream called Atlaran Adventuring Company, which you can find all the info for on Twitter @AtlaranAdvCo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview