JC Compton interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW 



When did your love of books begin?


My parents, but especially my mother used to read us bedtime stories when we were little. Then we started going to the public library, and I just naturally borrowed all the books I could from there and the school library as well. I read absolutely everything on the shelves, novels, encyclopedias, short books, long books... My mother was not a reader at all but made sure to feed my need for books.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I was always a storyteller, whether through writing stories, fanfiction, or drawing graphic novels. At 24, I lost my mother, and on her nightstand she had the beginning of a novel I had written for her. I decided to complete it. My father was my first proofreader, and gathered all the information I needed to know about being an author and getting published, but he also passed away just a year later. I could not stop there, and let their hopes and efforts go to waste. So I continued writing nonstop until I had something I was satisfied with.
How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Unexpected. I used to think that authors were distant celebrities, but in fact an author is someone who writes a book. Nowadays, you can easily get your book out there, directly to your readers, whether as an ebook, a paperback... I had a fascinating conversation with an 80 year-old author that made me reevaluate what it means to write, what I wanted from it, and what I wanted my readers to find in my books. My goal is to be authentic, I write as my authentic self, the way I would tell you a story if I was there in person. I write about real human emotions and situations in a fantasy setting. I like to add precise details, funny details, little things that will make you connect with the characters. For that reason, many readers told me that my books and characters are very relatable.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Do it. Don't stop writing, don't stop creating, don't let anyone tell you that you can't or shouldn't. And use your spell check tools.
Tell us about your book/books:

I have an ongoing book series, UNDERTAKERS INC. It follows the lives and romantic paths of several vampires in the Victorian era. Each of them is in a different sort of relationship (LGBTQ+, straight, open, polyamorous, etc), with its own challenges. Friendship, especially unusual friendships are also a theme. It's also fast-paced with a lot of action, mystery, and a bit of horror. As I am a world traveler and Japan enthusiast, you will find in it many characters from all around the world and a few references to Japan. I am also very inspired by folk tales from all over the world, such as the zashiki-warashi ghost stories in Japan.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the writing/reading community because they are very respectful. If someone doesn't like your book or genre, they generally just move along rather than write a blog or make a video about it. If they love your book, they will talk about it. I love to read great reviews of my books and think "this person liked it!". Readers are super smart, they want content over cover or promotion. They want to read a good book. You can't fool them with a fancy cover. I always try to write that great book for them.
If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

You are amazing, and I want to continue writing amazing stories for you!
Where can people connect with you?

I'm mostly active on Instagram (jc_compton_oniyuri28) and Twitter (@JCCompton5), but also on Facebook. I read the reviews people post as well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview