Chris Ulm interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:
Hey, my name is Chris and I'm the Author of the series Vengeance. I'm mostly interested in gaming, airsoft and anything i can do to satisfy that creative itch. Things like, drawing, painting, making music, YouTube videos, crafting and most of all writing.



When did your love of books begin?
It's not necessarily a love for books, it's a love for stories. Growing up in a small school of < 300 students and a lack of any social skills whatsoever, I had a lot of time to myself and was quickly labelled as a weird kid. Didn't help that I had my Pokemon toys guard my cubby in grade school and wore my Lion King hat religiously. To fill the void of not having anyone to talk to, I turned to stories. Any world I could immerse myself in to escape the reality I had no affinity for. Even though now as an adult I don't have time for physical reading, I am constantly ingesting video games and podcasts of such a wide variety that it constantly feeds my fire to create. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?
I grew up inspired by the few books i did read and the television I was watching as a child. This media planted a seed that occasionally birthed little short stories for school and personal retellings of my adventures at home. However, I didn't really start writing until my senior year in high school. I had always written song lyrics up until that point, but my creative outlet was mostly focused to drawing and YouTube videos. I told stories in the characters and creatures I drew, and the engagement with an audience via video. When I wrote the short story Vengeance in twelfth grade, I felt something different. Some control over the details that I never truly engaged with in videography, photography and art. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?
My process is scattered and inconsistent. Sometimes I'll write at a frenzied pace for three weeks straight and then I will fall off for two months. And when I'm writing, I am usually hot-seating between two different stories at the same time. Even though everything I currently write is a part of the umbrella narrative that is this one series, they are all thematically different yet overlapping. If anything, I am the most stressed that I'll be for the day, when I'm writing. Otherwise, I'm constantly thinking about what I have written and need tow write. My phone is constantly filling and emptying of notes. 



What would you say to those wanting to become an author?
Good luck. It is by no means easy and I don't think you'll ever be fully satisfied with what you put out there. If you're anything like me, you will constantly think about every little question that someone may ask about lore or whatever. But there's a point where you have to let those worries go and just put it out there. Also, don't rush anything and don't start selling on paperback. Print is permanent and you don't want mistake drafts floating around down the line. Lastly, at the end of the day, while it may be incredibly challenging; i have never been so happy in my life then when i receive a compliment on some aspect of my books. Its truly wonderful. 


Tell us about your book/books:
Oh boy I don't know where to begin. Heavily inspired by Supernatural and various Anime for one. We follow along a middle school girl with a pretty screwy home life and not-so-great school life either. Partially a consequence of her own shortcomings but also a result of things far beyond her control. No matter where young Kimberly goes, she's always faced with some outer negative influence or her own inner demons. When things go too far and she learns that there are real devils in the world, she's faced with a life changing decision that can only end in blood. From there, the lore of these demons and their goals drags her into a whirlwind of revelation regarding her fathers dark past and what it all implies for the future. 
Certainly not for people who are sensitive to gore, suicide, abuse and general horror.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?
I've stuck to the sidelines mostly, because I still don't quite know where I fit in with anyone. But from what I've observed personally is there is so much overlap. I'm amazed by how much I relate to so many writers I've seen on twitter and equally astonished by how drastically different our day-to-day lives are; yet we are connected via a blank sheet of paper. Oh, I also absolutely love seeing the creative covers of peoples books. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?
I have basically a survey of questions i always ask anyone who reads my book. Its generally who is your favorite and least favorite characters and such. But I'm always curious of their predictions for the sequel, since it isn't out yet. And whose story they want to know that didn't get explained in b1. Mostly, i want to let them know how much it means to me that they even took the time. I love my story and characters and get giddy with the thought of someone going along that journey. I want to know every opinion. 


Where can people connect with you?
I try to coagulate all my social media for all my works on my website 
Otherwise people can reach out to me directly via Twitter At: Vengeance_Books
I recently made a Flowpage for everything related to the book series in an attempt to segregate that from my personal accounts. 
https://flow.page/vengeanceofficial

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview