Barbara Avon interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

 


A little introduction:

One night in early 2015, my husband and I were chatting beneath the stars when he had a lightbulb moment. He told me that I should publish the book that I had written in 2002. That's how this journey began. I didn't know a thing about self-publishing and after a few hiccups (and a few thousand dollars wasted), I finally emerged into the world as an Author. I like to capitalize "Author". It's a title I am proud of. My newest release will be published this November. "Sultry, Is the Night" is for anyone who has ever felt like they didn't belong. Mario Belotti is from "the wrong side of the tracks". Tess is the beautiful stranger with a dark secret. Mario soon realises that some borders aren't meant to be crossed. 


When did your love of books begin?

I suppose like many people, my love of reading began in my youth. It was the only "escape", so to speak. To be able to visit new worlds and make new (fictional) friends is a magical thing.
When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

One day, in Grade 9 English Class, my teacher asked me to read my short story out loud. It included flashbacks to the 1930s. I was a timid, shy, teenager and it was a harrowing experience! When my teacher announced, "That, class, is how you earn an A +!" I knew that one day, I would write a novel.
How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's been quite the journey. Being self-published though, I am thrilled to be able to be in control of everything from cover design, to marketing. I want those who are contemplating the self-publishing route to understand that it's a commitment. It's a 24 hour job. Indie Authors are responsible for quality control - whether they hire out, or do it themselves. There is so much more to it than writing something and throwing it up for sale online. However, I wouldn't change a single thing.
What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

My usual answer is: Be bold, be brave, be different. I'd like to add something new here today. You are an artist. What you create comes from your soul. Once you publish, your art is out there for the world to judge, and sometimes, not all feedback will be favourable. (Just like when you order prime rib at a restaurant that you find is overcooked, but your dinner mate thinks is perfect). Whatever you do, do NOT contact the reviewer. Do not share that unfavourable review on social media asking for sympathy from your peers. Even if you block out a reviewer's name, the review is easy to find. Don't do it. You are essentially insulting the reviewer and potentially alienating new readers.
Tell us about your book/books:

I'm a multi-genre author of 24 - soon to be 25 - publications. I started with romantic suspense and have since branched out into various different genres, including fantasy (time travel), thrillers, horror, literary fiction, and even children's books which allow the child to draw their own illustrations. If I had to choose a favourite genre to write, it would be horror. Delving into the human psyche is a hauntingly beautiful thing.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

It's amazing how we can connect with people all over the world because of our mutual love of books. Twitter is great for that. Someone clear across the globe has read one of my books - how cool is that?
If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you. Although those words seem very small, I mean them with all my heart.


Where can people connect with you?

I'm mostly active on Twitter - @barb_avon My "one link" is - Barbara Avon on Direct.me 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview